Getting Down to Business

Sorry if this post is a little messy... these are mostly the construction notes that I was working with while planning the actual creation of the mittens.

My original plan was to have four tiles on each mitten, but as I began working out my gauge and my designs, I realized that this wasn't going to work. I adjusted my plan so that the functionality of the mittens remained intact and ended up with just two tiles on each mitten.

My original plans from my notebook in Rotterdam
My gauge is 7 stitches by 9 rows for an inch. For me, this means I'm using size US 3 needles which is just great. The smaller stitches combined with the yarn with the high silk content create a nice stitch definition without seeming bulky or too fussy. :-)

From my notebook in Rotterdam
For this gauge, each tile needs to be 22 stitches and 27 rows. There will be two rows of blue on the top and bottom of the tile between the ribbing to make the tile stand out and also provide a solid foundation for the colorwork.

My original framework for the mittens. I didn't end up using exactly what is shown here, but this was the general idea.
I don't want the thumb gusset to end above the tile, so for 16 stitches to be added every other row, the thumb gusset can't start later than row 20. ** Have gusset start at row 19 **

CO 51

No comments:

Post a Comment